Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I, Dream

You say I do not have dreams, and that I am realist
but, nothing is further from the truth
I have always been a dreamer writing the dreams
held by my mother and carried by my father
into the space that makes up my simple heart

I dream of finding my way to the motherland
the place that birthed my father, and the adventure
of exploring India in all her exotic beauty and poverty
giving us the perspective that we need to wake up
and realize it's the poorest who carry the warmest smiles

You say that my dreams are not vivid enough for you
but maybe you haven't been paying attention
to the ink that flows from my fingers as I scribble
fears, worries, hopes, wonder, happiness, and visions
that always included you by my side, and no one else

I dream of the future, bright, content, and solid
held together by the woman I will one day marry,
the permanent home we will build for ourselves,
and the laughter of our children filling our ears
as they grow into people we can be proud of

You say I am not a dreamer, but you are mistaken
to think that dreams are of no consequence to me
when they are the very thing that has driven me
from the darkest depths of pain into the blinding light
of love, life, and legends that reside in my muse

[Sometimes dreams are for fools....]

No comments: